Pages

.

How I Came To Be Here

Well, it all started with my parents. They were born and grew up to be adults. Then they met, fell in love, got married, and-

Just kidding. That's not what this post is about at all. What I am going to tell all of you wonderful people is how/when/why I decided to write.


I can't think of a better way to start than with listing my likes and dislikes before I really started writing. (Not everything, just the things writing and reading related)

Dislikes

// I hated writing. (We're just off to a great start, aren't we?)

// English as a subject

Likes

// I loved reading/books.

// I really liked words.

So, I didn't always enjoy writing. When I reflect on it, I think that the biggest reason for not liking it was that I didn't understand writing or how it worked. Before I reached the eighth grade, most of my writing was in the form of one page book summaries. And since I read a lot, I had to write a large amount of them.

(I still don't like writing a summary of a book. I'm more like, "Here is my summary." *hands you book*)

English used to be one of my worst subjects. I just couldn't keep all the different parts of speech straight. And to be perfectly honest, some of them just didn't make any sense to me.

And then, something sensational happened! I didn't think so at the time, but that's not the point. It was my eight grade year when I started taking a writing class. I learned how to write and make it interesting so that people would want to keep reading. I started to learn so much, things were beginning to make sense to me. I continued to take the class my freshman year of high school. My sophomore and junior years I took literature classes (English and British lit).

I have so many wonderful memories of those four years, and I wish that it didn't have to end.

I don't remember exactly what year it was that I first tried to write a book, but I do remember the time I realized that I enjoyed writing stories. (I had attempted to write a book before that realization. I know, it's strange.) My sophomore year I had to write a short story for the literature class that I was taking. I had a lot fun writing it, and liked it so much more than the other papers I had to write. And that was the first time I realized that I may want to be an author.

I did think about going into forensic science for a little while. Towards the end of my junior year, my dad told me that I should probably start to consider what I want to do after high school. So I began praying about it, asking God to show me what He created me to do. At the time, I was really interested in forensics, and decided to do more with science as a senior. But about half way through the school year I started losing interest, and came to the conclusion that it wasn't what God wanted for me.

I think it was about May last year that I started thinking that God might want me to write. I mean, He opened the door so that I could take four years of writing/literature. And it was probably June that I started writing more seriously. Since then, I haven't felt God calling me to do anything else.


What about you? When did you first realize that you wanted to write? Have you always enjoyed writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment